DANIEL STEELE, S.T.D.
RECENT PROFESSOR OF SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY IN BOSTON UNIVERSITY.
AUTHOR OF "LOVE ENTHRONED;" "MILE-STONE PAPERS, "ANTINOMIANISM
REVIVED," " COMMENTARIES ON LEVITICUS, NUMBERS, AND JOSHUA"
"HALF HOURS WITH ST. PAUL," "DEFENSE OF CHRISTIAN PER-
FECTION," AND CO-AUTHOR OF "PEOPLE'S NEW TESTA-
MENT COMMENTARY" AND "BINNEY'S THEO-
LOGICAL COMPEND IMPROVED;"
THE CHRISTIAN WITNESS COMPANY.
[This text is in the public domain. Text scanning and formatting by Craig L. Adams.]
TO MY TWO DUTIFUL CHRISTIAN DAUGHTERS
CAROLINE BINNEY STEELE
MARY GRACE STEELE
TO ALL OTHER BELIEVERS IN CHRIST WHO ASPIRE TO A KNOWLEDGE
OF THE MOST VITAL CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE
TO A REALIZATION OF THE DEEPEST SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE,
THROUGH THE ABIDING COMFORTER
IS PRAYERFULLY AND HOPEFULLY INSCRIBED.
EDITOR'S NOTES: This is one of the best known of Steele's books. It is, indeed, a rather complete discussion of the role of the Holy Spirit in the life of the Christian believer. The chapters, as usual, can be considered as separate essays. (As far as I can tell, Chapter 4 of this book is exactly the same as Chapter 16 of Mile-Stone Papers.) The material in the extensive Appendix gives further theological information. (Though astute readers will notice that, for some unknown reason, there is no "Appendix J.") I have corrected several errors in this book, made some minor editorial changes and changed some (but very little) of the spelling. Once again, I have chosen to present most of the quotations as block-quotes. There are several quotes in this book, whose source is not clearly indicated. My intention is to present an edition of this work that is readable and accurate.
Readers may wish to compare this digital text with the online edition at Google books: The Gospel of the Comforter.
The chapters of this book may be viewed online, either by using the hyperlink Table of Contents below or by using the navigation bar on the right.
— Craig L. Adams
- Names of the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit and the Trinity
- Personality and Divinity of the Holy Spirit
- The Executive of the Godhead
- The Work of the Holy Spirit before Pentecost
- The Paraclete's Conviction of Sin
- The Paraclete's Conviction of Righteousness
- The Paraclete's Conviction of Judgment
- The Pentecostal Attestation
- The Gain of the Paraclete
- Praying to the Holy Spirit
- The Law of the Spirit
- Miracles of the Holy Ghost
- The Spirit's Work in Regeneration
- Christ our Sanctification through the Spirit
- The Witness of the Spirit
- Christ's Two Receptions and Two Bestowals of the Spirit
- The Paraclete's "Ecce Homo" in the Believer
- The Holy Spirit and Conscience
- The Unity of the Spirit
- Enlargement of Heart by the Spirit
- Knowing the Spirit
- The Freedom of the Holy Spirit
- The Testings of the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit and Singing
- Preaching with Demonstration of the Spirit
- Walking in the Comfort of the Holy Ghost
- Spiritual Babes and Spiritual Men
- The Spirit's Presidency in the Church
- Dishonoring the Holy Spirit
- The Fulness of the Spirit
- The Spirit an Unclaimed Deposit
- Rivers of Living Water
- The Extraordinary Gifts of the Spirit
- Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit
- The Holy Spirit the Conservator of Orthodoxy
- NOTE A.
- NOTE B.
- NOTE C.
- NOTE D.
- NOTE E.
- NOTE F.
- NOTE G.
- NOTE H.
- NOTE I.
- NOTE K.
- NOTE L.
- NOTE M.